(NewsUSA) - Just mention the "V" word, and you're likely to have frantic felines and cowering canines. But a trip to the vet doesn't have to be traumatic. Here are some tips for making the experience more pleasant for everyone:
* Be calm and upbeat. Animals pick up on our thoughts. If you're very stressed and anxious, your animal will be too.
* Help your pet relax. Calming products, like Pluto Pet's Pet Calming Spray, may help relieve your animal's fear, nervousness and aggression. Made from all-natural ingredients, it acts quickly, causes no side effects and meets all Food and Drug Administration guidelines for good manufacturing practices. For more information, visit www.plutopet.com.
* Leave your cat's carrier out all the time. Put a towel inside and sprinkle it with catnip. The cat will associate the carrier with a pleasant, private place to nap rather than a ride in the car. And if he doesn't hear you getting the carrier out of a closet, he won't have the opportunity to wedge himself under a bed.
* Get your animals used to riding in the car. Even a quick spin around the block will help your dog or cat associate riding in the car with a pleasant experience. Open the windows a bit and tune the radio to a classical music station. Classical music is soothing to animals. When you get home, reward your "traveler" with some treats. Never leave your animal alone in a locked car, even for a few minutes.
* Make sure your animal can tolerate being handled. Touch his feet and toes, open his mouth, look in his ears, and get him used to being touched on all parts of his body.
* Socialize your animals. Try to get your cat or dog accustomed to hearing, seeing and being touched by many different people. Even leaving a television or radio on for strictly indoor cats will help them get used to the sounds of different human voices.
* Lavish your pet with praise. During the vet visit and afterwards, reward your animal with praise for being calm and cooperative. Some treats on the ride home will make him think the whole experience was worthwhile.